Where's your pork-loving, alcoholic friend?

>> Tuesday, December 23, 2008


Yes, you DID read the title correctly. And NO, this blog is not associated with anyone of the sort. Here's the story: It all started when we (Me, Kak Chik and Fad) planned to go to Indooroopilly for a Smiggle-ing retail therapy session. Before that. Here's a funny metal plate I took a picture of somewhere in Melbourne.


Since I didn't eat breakfast (as usual), I was absolutely starving. I don't know why but lately I've been obsessing over sushi after years of THE INCIDENT (flight from LA to KL; maybe next entry?). Though there were no signs of pork, it wouldn't hurt to ask. Better be safe than sorry, am I right? Well, so, I asked the lady at the counter, "Excuse me, is there any sushi with pork?" She replied, "Sorry, no. But we do have something that tastes like pork." Obviously, I shook my head indicating that I do not desire anything with pork. She seemed disturbed. Probably thinking, "Why in the right mind would she ask for pork if she didn't want any? Makes sense. Moving on, I inquired on the alcohol content. She was shocked and looked at me with a weird face saying no. If was as if she was looking at me and trying to tell me, there's no alcohol in sushi..don't you know how to make sushi? Well, as a matter of fact, I DON'T! Why would I buy something I can make? Ok, maybe I do that sometimes, but not in this case. It didn't bother me at first, but when her friend came. She hastily told my "story" to her friend. I know I can't understand Japanese, or Korean, or whatever she was speaking but one thing's for sure, I do understand English. She used the word 'alcohol.' Gee, I wonder what she's taking about. Annoyed, I bought my sushi and left (well, a girl's gotta eat).

That's the story. Oh, and a bout the title: Fad wanted to buy sushi after we had dramatically left the stall (nice!). I told her to go alone because I didn't want to become the joke of the sushi girls. When Fad returned, I asked her. Did the girl ask where your pork-loving, alcoholic friend was? Just thought I would share this 'interesting' little incident that happened to me.

There is a message. Don't be ashamed to ask what ingredients (or how it's made) are in something. We should be proud we're not consuming haram products. InsyaAllah, He will reward us for making an effort to eat halal and toyyiban food. But then again, not consuming the above is a reawrd in itself. Why? Well, studies show hat there is a certain bacteria in pigs that cannot be killed no matter how they're stewed, fried or baked. As for alcohol, well, let's just say that it's flammability will definitely "get the fire going." If you know what I mean. Hell; it's a hot place. Chances are, you don't want to be consume anything flammable prior to that. So, basically, Allah forbids the bad for our won good. I'm probably guessing there's a verse on that but I'll attach it later.

0 comments: